Hated Meaning In Malayalam, K League 2 Table 2019, Issa Rae Hairstyles On Insecure, Carlos Alazraqui Movies And Tv Shows, And Soon The Darkness (1970 Dvd), Jane A Bronx Tale, Fred Macmurray Disney Movies, Ryan Yarbrough Fantasy 2020, " /> Hated Meaning In Malayalam, K League 2 Table 2019, Issa Rae Hairstyles On Insecure, Carlos Alazraqui Movies And Tv Shows, And Soon The Darkness (1970 Dvd), Jane A Bronx Tale, Fred Macmurray Disney Movies, Ryan Yarbrough Fantasy 2020, " />
19 Oct

gone south origin

Any help would be much appreciated. What does exactly depend on the character rarity? Mathews cites sold South from Uncle Toms’ Cabin in 1852. There is no etymological support for Schenectandy’s view, as the phrase “gone south” has changed meaning a couple of times since its first recorded instance. As Wikipedia notes, 1920 was the year that Fairbanks's hugely successful film The Mark of Zorro was released: In The Mark of Zorro, Fairbanks combined his appealing screen persona with the new adventurous costume element. He also cites a journal from 1902, which was referring to 1746 which said in effect that Indians spirits would “go southward” when they died. Confused how any user can chmod a file with sudo. I think it originally referred to a statement General Sherman made after his tour of the southerly States of America. It just sounded reasonable and obvious. It originally meant “to disappear, vanish or skip town,” often by going south to Mexico or Texas. For example. For the remainder of his career in silent films he continued to produce and star in ever more elaborate, impressive costume films, such as The Three Musketeers (1921), Douglas Fairbanks as Robin Hood (1922), The Thief of Bagdad (1924), The Black Pirate (1926, the first full-length Technicolor film), and The Gaucho (1927). There is no etymological support for Schenectandy’s view, as the phrase “gone south” has changed meaning a couple of times since its first recorded instance. Why does “Whip smart” come to mean “Very smart”? Origin is in offline mode. The mother tongue blog suggest a few possibilities: that the phrase originated in the US, “going South” refers to either fleeing to Mexico or Texas to escape the law and/or fleeing the North during the Civil War. Unfortunately, Cecil would rip me a new anal aperture for it because I made it up. A map, properly oriented, shows north at the top and south at the bottom. No cites. 1. http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/go+south, grammarphobia.com/blog/2011/11/north-south.html, Responding to the Lavender Letter and commitments moving forward. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. : : My understanding of the phrase is, if a project has gone south, it's "in the toilet," "gone bust," etc. Q: does this phrase have exclusive USA origins? English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. 1920 Elgin (Illinois) Dairy Rep. 13 Nov., Meat, grains and provisions generally, are like Douglas Fairbanks, headed south—in other words, going down. To escape; to vanish or disappear. 2001 San Francisco Business Times (Nexis) 9 Nov. 21 What's your average deal size? (South as euphemism for down) Nonetheless the pejorative (sp?) For my money, Evan just plain fluffed his answer, in The Word Detective. If prices go down, they can be depicted with an arrow pointing downward or "going south," like the arrow pointing south on a compass. Couple that with a “more is more” culture, and you have the implication that any move in the downward direction equals a decrease and therefore must be bad. However, among some Native Americans, the term was a euphemism for dying, and possibly this sense led to the present usage. Can you give an example with context? Why not go southwest or go east? Please try again. The use of south as in the phrase go south stems from the 1920s (from the Oxford English Dictionary): colloq. What kind of aircraft are currently being used by Boulder County to fight wildfires? This was a tragic disobedience which caused Abraham to lie to Pharaoh, brought forth an Egyptian concubine (Hagar), an Egyptian wife for Lot, and created a hunger in Lot that ultimately destroyed his family (Genesis 13:10). Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS), Trump and Melania test positive for COVID-19, 2020 POTUS Debate 1 (29 September) follow-along and discussion thread, Sam Stone’s tragic gullibility re: Trump’s tweets, For first time since 2004, Republican party affiliation overtakes Democratic affiliation (Gallup), Online math quiz - I have questions about 1 of them, Walker Evans - Identify this Location in Amsterdam, NY, "If you elect Biden, he'll listen to the Scientists!". The loss of manufacturing jobs in New England to new cheaper labor plants that opened from the Carolina to points further south. To get access to all Origin features, please go online. This expression is generally thought to allude to compasses and two-dimensional maps where north is up and south is down. Attributed to Horace Greeley, who, according to Josiah Bushnell Grinnell, gave the latter this advice in September 1851 (see quot. Oops. It just sounded reasonable and obvious. in to head (also go) south. …If sundials were invented in the southern hemisphere, ‘clockwise’ would be the opposite way too! dropzone’s explanation sounds reasonable. I always thought it was about Hell, because the direction of south is down on a standard map, and Hell is considered down or under the earth. can go north be taken as in a positive manner ? It has been held in both Launcestonand Hobartat various times. However, south is usually used as a general figure of speech. Gee, I hope it doesn’t end up in one of his books! site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. There seem to be two theories about the “south” in “gone south.” It may simply be a reference to the map-making convention that “south” on a map equals “down,” so to “go south” would be to head for the metaphorical bottom. How would you explain it? Scout Pilot . (question from a 6 year old), Grammar sentence structure and "opposite ... next". The term became jargon of the day when to refer to a test as having “Gone South” meant that everything was fine until that sudden moment when all went wrong; as when the missile flew south instead of north! (US and Russia each took certain scientists almost like dividing the spoils of war.) In the northern-hemisphere chauvinist’s view, south=down idiomatically. The best guess I’ve heard is that it’s from the seasonal migration of birds, that the working of the thing in question has simply “flown away.” That seems like a stretch to me. Why are people protesting against supreme court nominee Amy Coney Barrett? of HBO. I'm also mystified by the allusion to Douglas Fairbanks in the Elgin Dairy Report sentence from 1920 about farm commodities that are "headed south—in other words, going down." Stock Market). *Originally posted by happyheathen * Gone West origin User Name: Remember Me? It has been promoted by local Hobart businessman Charles Touber, and more recently in conjunction with Karen Henderson. rev 2020.10.19.37833, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. That was helpful. : Etymology: Middle English, from Old English suth; akin to Old High German sund- south and probably to Old English sunne sun: Date: before 12th century: 1 : to, toward, or in the south: 2 : into a state of decline or ruin. that the soul journeys south after death. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. A profit and loss chart shows the positive numbers at the top and the negative numbers at the bottom. Join Date: Oct 2001. In the thread “Christians - What EXACTLY is ‘Original Sin’?” (GD) happyheathen wonders about the origin of the expression “gone south”. 2003 R. B. Parker Stone Cold (2004) xl. 1891). My understanding has always been that "south" in this phrase was synonymous with "down", similar to "go downhill". To the scientists and the Army, the test went “South” instead of north. A loss is shown by a move in the “southerly” direction. oh wait, I though you meant the other meaning…nevermind. The expression "went south" is used to define failure, loss or a bad experience and started after the Civil War. What high-end fantasy fabrics and textiles exist in the Forgotten Realms? Whatever the Elgin Dairy Report intended to suggest by saying that Fairbanks had gone south, it could hardly have meant that he was in decline or dying as a motion picture star. This is a 20th century phrase, probably of military origin. The Dakota tribes believe that the soul, driven out of the body, journeys off to the south, and ‘to go south’ is, among the Sioux, the favorite euphemism for death. Point out that Chinese maps are oriented SOUTH up? It does, doesn’t it? Why is it go south only? Though north and south have related meanings (higher and lower, respectively), they are used in different ways. go south. Accès direct à 59000 torrents sans inscription et sans ratio ! in north of (a figure, cost, etc. The reply to this question rambles on to the meaning of “gone south”, but never really gives an alternative to the idea that would conflict with the migration of birds, except the idea of fleeing to Mexico to avoid the law, which IMHO is not very plausible. Causes the sluggish economy to go south -- G. F. Will. Origin v10.4.74-2471-f5be7d78. (orig. How do I spell "wracking my brain" and what does "wrack" or "rack" mean anyway? From Chapman and Kipfer, Dictionary of American Slang, Third Edition (1995): go south (also head south, take a turn south) 1 v phr by 1940s To disappear; fail by or as if by vanishing [examples omitted] 2 v phr by 1925 To abscond with money loot, etc. To join, you must be at least No cites. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. I should have said “Dropzone performs yet another act of anal extraction”? (_Business Week_, Sept 21,1974)Rosy view of VCR impact was somewhat contradicted during dinner talk by Frank Biondi, exec. : From Merriam-Webster online (meaning No. Stock Market). Could you show your sources? The etymology of "going south" appears to be connected to the financial industry. But it's not true. Responses must be helpful and on-topic. Origin and evolution of 'on the bubble' in senses related to 'having an uncertain outcome', Novel about a replica of earth where history happened slightly differently after the ~1940s. Where does the phrase "out of pocket" come from. Jacob went down into Egypt and his children became slaves for 400 years. I did a little research and found this. Perhaps he was trying too hard to stick with gone South rather than to go South or one of its variants. The direction "north" has a figurative meaning as well: Higher; esp. dropzone’s explanation sounds reasonable. Everyone in the gang went south when they learned that the police had discovered their hideout. 6 With oil heading south of $10‥the London stock market today stands less than 4 per cent below its highest ever level. 2): : Main Entry: 1south: Pronunciation: 'sauth: Function: adverb: Etymology: Middle English, from Old English suth; akin to Old High German sund- south and probably to Old English sunne sun: Date: before 12th century: 1 : to, toward, or in the south: 2 : into a state of decline or ruin. For my money, Evan just plain fluffed his answer, in The Word Detective. Fairbanks spared no expense and effort in these films, which established the standard for all future swashbuckling films. What's the origin of the idiom “miss the boat”? Anyway, the scientists that were located at Ft Bliss continued research performing tests and launches in the vast White Sands Missile Range that lies directly north.

Hated Meaning In Malayalam, K League 2 Table 2019, Issa Rae Hairstyles On Insecure, Carlos Alazraqui Movies And Tv Shows, And Soon The Darkness (1970 Dvd), Jane A Bronx Tale, Fred Macmurray Disney Movies, Ryan Yarbrough Fantasy 2020,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments ( 0 )