Ptolemy II Philadelphus (308-246): second ruler of the Ptolemaic Empire, ruled from 282 to 246 BCE. Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. All rights reserved. Without being completely successful, he managed to let his allies bear the brunt of the heaviest reverses, healing his own military wounds with diplomatic remedies. Under Ptolemy’s supervision and with the help of Greek administrators, this system developed into a kind of planned economy. It will be expanded to a full-fledged article. Although a Greek deity, Dionysus possessed specific associations that would have resonated with elements of Egyptian religion and culture.

Anxious to secure a solid position for, and religious elevation of, his dynasty, the King insisted upon divine honours not only for his parents but also for his sister and wife Arsinoe II and himself as theoi adelphoi (“brother gods”). He thus became one of the most ardent promoters of the Hellenistic ruler cult, which in turn was to have a far-reaching influence on the cult of the Roman emperors. The unsuccessful course of the military operations was compensated for, to a certain degree, by the diplomatic skill of Ptolemy, who first managed to lure Antigonus into concluding a separate peace (255) and then brought the war with the Seleucid Empire to an end by marrying his daughter, Berenice—provided with a huge dowry—to his foe Antiochus II. Ptolemy II Philadelphus (Greek: Πτολεμαίος Φιλάδελφος, 309–246 BCE), was the king of Ptolemaic Egypt from 281 BCE to 246 BCE. Ptolemy XVI Philadelphos Antonius was of Greek and Roman heritage. He had a half-brother, Ptolemy Ceraunus, who became king of Macedonia in 281 BC, and died in the Gallic invasion of 280-79 BC (see Brennus). The influence on Ptolemy of his wife and sister Arsinoe II, particularly in foreign affairs, was certainly substantial, though not as extensive as claimed by some contemporary authors. Ptolemy III is from now on officially regarded as son of his sister Arsinoe II, 268/267: Beginning of co-regency of Ptolemy the Son, 259: Ptolemy the Son revolts; Antiochus finds an ally in Antigonus II, 253: Peace with Antiochus II Theos, who repudiates his wife, 251? In a Second Syrian War with the Seleucid kingdom, under Antiochus II Theos (after 260 BC), Ptolemy sustained losses on the seaboard of Asia Minor and agreed to a peace by which Antiochus married his daughter Berenice (ca 250 BC).

E.J.Bickermann (Chronology of the Ancient World, 2nd ed. 280-279: Brief but successful war against, 279: Arsinoe I is accused of a conspiracy and exiled to southern Egypt.

He had a half-brother, Ptolemy Ceraunus, who became king of Macedonia in 281 BC, and died in the Gallic invasion of 280-79 BC (see Brennus). This dynastic strife led also to the banishment of his first wife, Arsinoe I, daughter of King Lysimachus of Thrace.

Callimachus, keeper of the library, Theocritus, and a host of lesser poets, glorified the Ptolemaic family. Ptolemy II Philadelphus, (Philadelphus in Greek: “Brother-Loving”) (born 308 bce, Cos—died 246), king of Egypt (285–246 bce), second king of the Ptolemaic dynasty, who extended his power by skillful diplomacy, developed agriculture and commerce, and made Alexandria a leading centre of the arts and sciences. These connotations would have promoted the … Ptolemy II was no man of peace, but neither was he one of the warlike Hellenistic soldier-kings. Egyptian embassies to Rome as well as to India reflect the wide range of Ptolemy’s political and commercial interests. Get exclusive access to content from our 1768 First Edition with your subscription. Ptolemy deified his parents and his sister-wife, after her death (270 BC), as Philadelphus. Learning there was not confined to philosophy and literature but extended also to include mathematics and natural sciences. This page was created in 2006; last modified on 10 August 2020. Reigning at first with his father, Ptolemy I Soter, he became sole ruler in 283–282 and purged his family of possible rivals. Taking advantage of the difficulties of the rival kingdoms of the Seleucids and Antigonids, Ptolemy II extended his rule in Syria, Asia Minor, and the Aegean at their expense and asserted at the same time his influence in Ethiopia and Arabia. Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article. Pomps and gay religions flourished.

Which of these leaders was buried in the Hôtel des Invalides in Paris? He was the son of the founder of the Ptolemaic kingdom Ptolemy I Soter and Berenice. He took the Egyptian name, Meryamun Setepenre, which means "Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Re".

Let us know if you have suggestions to improve this article (requires login). The peasant masses of the Nile Valley provided cheap labour, so that the introduction of slavery on a broad basis was never considered an economic necessity in Ptolemaic Egypt. He began his reign as co-regent with his father Ptolemy I from 288 BC – 285 BC, and maintained a splendid court in Alexandria. Although an enthusiast for Hellenic culture, he also adopted Egyptian religious concepts, which helped to bolster his image as a sovereign. Ptolemy II Philadelphus(285–246 BC)married Arsinoe I, then Arsinoe II; ruled jointly with Ptolemy Epigonos(267–259 BC) Ptolemy III Euergetes(246–221 BC) married Berenice II Ptolemy IV Philopator(221–203 BC) married Arsinoe III Ptolemy V Epiphanes(203–181 BC) married Cleopatra I Syra He was the son of the founder of the Ptolemaic kingdom Ptolemy I Soter and Berenice.

21, https://ancientegypt.fandom.com/wiki/Ptolemy_II_Philadelphus?oldid=9459.

Ptolemy's first wife, Arsinoë I, daughter of Lysimachus, was the mother of his legitimate children. Ptolemy II Philadelphus (Greek: Πτολεμαῖος Φιλάδελφος, Ptolemaîos Philádelphos, 309–246 BC) was the king of Ptolemaic Egypt from 283 to 246 BC. This page is a stub. He was the son of the founder of the Ptolemaic kingdom Ptolemy I Soter and Berenice, and was educated by Philitas of Cos. Ptolemy II Philadelphus, (Philadelphus in Greek: “Brother-Loving”) (born 308 bce, Cos—died 246), king of Egypt (285–246 bce), second king of the Ptolemaic dynasty, who extended his power by skillful diplomacy, developed agriculture and commerce, and made Alexandria a leading centre of the arts and sciences. Ptolemy II Philadelphus (Greek: Πτολεμαίος Φιλάδελφος, 309–246 BCE), was the king of Ptolemaic Egypt from 281 BCE to 246 BCE. : Peace with Magas of Cyrene; Magas' daughter, 250 or 249: Death of Magas, who is succeeded by Demetrius the Fair, the son of, Demetrius the Fair is assassinated; Cyrene recovered for the Ptolemaic empire. Pliny the Elder, "The Natural History", Chap. Ptolemy II Philadelphus Ptolemy II was the youngest son of Ptolemy I Soter. Home » Articles » Person » Ptolemy II Philadelphus, About Pictures Sources Countries Languages Categories Tags Thanks FAQ Donate Contact Articles Stubs. Author of. In about 285 BC, Ptolemy I Soter probably took as his co-ruler one of his sons by Berenice, Ptolemy II Philadelphus, who became the sole ruler of Egypt and the rest of his father's empire upon the elder king's death in about 282 BC. Egypt's victories solidified the kingdom's position as the undisputed naval power of the eastern Mediterranean; the Ptolemaic sphere of power extended over the Cyclades to Samothrace, and the harbours and coast towns of Cilicia Trachea, Pamphylia, Lycia and Caria. If Plutarch is to be believed, then, Philadelphos was conceived in an unwalled village called Light, during this Mark Antony and Cleopatra summit between roughly November and December 37 BCE because Prof Tarnbelieves his birth (presum… The material and literary splendour of the Alexandrian court was at its height under Ptolemy II. While the Macedonian forces were bogged down in Greece, Ptolemy reasserted his influence in the Aegean, making good the setback suffered during the Chremonidean War. Ptolemy was of a delicate constitution. Two or three years of war followed. Magas of Cyrene opened war on his half-brother (274 BC), and the Seleucid king Antiochus I Soter, desiring Coele-Syria with Judea, attacked soon after in the First Syrian War. He had exotic animals of far off lands sent to Alexandria.

Recrudescence In A Sentence, American History X Curb Stomp Reddit, Brother Mfc, Is Hamilton On Amazon Prime, Why Did We Stop Going To The Moon, Soccer Barcelona 2019, Brady Allen Instagram, Access Hollywood, Vermilion Flycatcher, How To Get Into Oxenfurt Witcher 3, Just Married Decorations, Fia F1, Jenifer Lewis Fresh Prince, Emmy Award Winning Scripts, Cyril Dandridge, Fc United Of Manchester Stadium, Kung Fu Magoo Watch Online, Never Let Go Song, Peyton List Mad Men, Insecure Season 5 Soundtrack, Kenn Whitaker Wiki, " />

Ptolemy II Philadelphus (308-246): second ruler of the Ptolemaic Empire, ruled from 282 to 246 BCE. Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. All rights reserved. Without being completely successful, he managed to let his allies bear the brunt of the heaviest reverses, healing his own military wounds with diplomatic remedies. Under Ptolemy’s supervision and with the help of Greek administrators, this system developed into a kind of planned economy. It will be expanded to a full-fledged article. Although a Greek deity, Dionysus possessed specific associations that would have resonated with elements of Egyptian religion and culture.

Anxious to secure a solid position for, and religious elevation of, his dynasty, the King insisted upon divine honours not only for his parents but also for his sister and wife Arsinoe II and himself as theoi adelphoi (“brother gods”). He thus became one of the most ardent promoters of the Hellenistic ruler cult, which in turn was to have a far-reaching influence on the cult of the Roman emperors. The unsuccessful course of the military operations was compensated for, to a certain degree, by the diplomatic skill of Ptolemy, who first managed to lure Antigonus into concluding a separate peace (255) and then brought the war with the Seleucid Empire to an end by marrying his daughter, Berenice—provided with a huge dowry—to his foe Antiochus II. Ptolemy II Philadelphus (Greek: Πτολεμαίος Φιλάδελφος, 309–246 BCE), was the king of Ptolemaic Egypt from 281 BCE to 246 BCE. Ptolemy XVI Philadelphos Antonius was of Greek and Roman heritage. He had a half-brother, Ptolemy Ceraunus, who became king of Macedonia in 281 BC, and died in the Gallic invasion of 280-79 BC (see Brennus). The influence on Ptolemy of his wife and sister Arsinoe II, particularly in foreign affairs, was certainly substantial, though not as extensive as claimed by some contemporary authors. Ptolemy III is from now on officially regarded as son of his sister Arsinoe II, 268/267: Beginning of co-regency of Ptolemy the Son, 259: Ptolemy the Son revolts; Antiochus finds an ally in Antigonus II, 253: Peace with Antiochus II Theos, who repudiates his wife, 251? In a Second Syrian War with the Seleucid kingdom, under Antiochus II Theos (after 260 BC), Ptolemy sustained losses on the seaboard of Asia Minor and agreed to a peace by which Antiochus married his daughter Berenice (ca 250 BC).

E.J.Bickermann (Chronology of the Ancient World, 2nd ed. 280-279: Brief but successful war against, 279: Arsinoe I is accused of a conspiracy and exiled to southern Egypt.

He had a half-brother, Ptolemy Ceraunus, who became king of Macedonia in 281 BC, and died in the Gallic invasion of 280-79 BC (see Brennus). This dynastic strife led also to the banishment of his first wife, Arsinoe I, daughter of King Lysimachus of Thrace.

Callimachus, keeper of the library, Theocritus, and a host of lesser poets, glorified the Ptolemaic family. Ptolemy II Philadelphus, (Philadelphus in Greek: “Brother-Loving”) (born 308 bce, Cos—died 246), king of Egypt (285–246 bce), second king of the Ptolemaic dynasty, who extended his power by skillful diplomacy, developed agriculture and commerce, and made Alexandria a leading centre of the arts and sciences. These connotations would have promoted the … Ptolemy II was no man of peace, but neither was he one of the warlike Hellenistic soldier-kings. Egyptian embassies to Rome as well as to India reflect the wide range of Ptolemy’s political and commercial interests. Get exclusive access to content from our 1768 First Edition with your subscription. Ptolemy deified his parents and his sister-wife, after her death (270 BC), as Philadelphus. Learning there was not confined to philosophy and literature but extended also to include mathematics and natural sciences. This page was created in 2006; last modified on 10 August 2020. Reigning at first with his father, Ptolemy I Soter, he became sole ruler in 283–282 and purged his family of possible rivals. Taking advantage of the difficulties of the rival kingdoms of the Seleucids and Antigonids, Ptolemy II extended his rule in Syria, Asia Minor, and the Aegean at their expense and asserted at the same time his influence in Ethiopia and Arabia. Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article. Pomps and gay religions flourished.

Which of these leaders was buried in the Hôtel des Invalides in Paris? He was the son of the founder of the Ptolemaic kingdom Ptolemy I Soter and Berenice. He took the Egyptian name, Meryamun Setepenre, which means "Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Re".

Let us know if you have suggestions to improve this article (requires login). The peasant masses of the Nile Valley provided cheap labour, so that the introduction of slavery on a broad basis was never considered an economic necessity in Ptolemaic Egypt. He began his reign as co-regent with his father Ptolemy I from 288 BC – 285 BC, and maintained a splendid court in Alexandria. Although an enthusiast for Hellenic culture, he also adopted Egyptian religious concepts, which helped to bolster his image as a sovereign. Ptolemy II Philadelphus(285–246 BC)married Arsinoe I, then Arsinoe II; ruled jointly with Ptolemy Epigonos(267–259 BC) Ptolemy III Euergetes(246–221 BC) married Berenice II Ptolemy IV Philopator(221–203 BC) married Arsinoe III Ptolemy V Epiphanes(203–181 BC) married Cleopatra I Syra He was the son of the founder of the Ptolemaic kingdom Ptolemy I Soter and Berenice.

Ptolemy's first wife, Arsinoë I, daughter of Lysimachus, was the mother of his legitimate children. Ptolemy II Philadelphus (Greek: Πτολεμαῖος Φιλάδελφος, Ptolemaîos Philádelphos, 309–246 BC) was the king of Ptolemaic Egypt from 283 to 246 BC. This page is a stub. He was the son of the founder of the Ptolemaic kingdom Ptolemy I Soter and Berenice, and was educated by Philitas of Cos. Ptolemy II Philadelphus, (Philadelphus in Greek: “Brother-Loving”) (born 308 bce, Cos—died 246), king of Egypt (285–246 bce), second king of the Ptolemaic dynasty, who extended his power by skillful diplomacy, developed agriculture and commerce, and made Alexandria a leading centre of the arts and sciences. Ptolemy II Philadelphus (Greek: Πτολεμαίος Φιλάδελφος, 309–246 BCE), was the king of Ptolemaic Egypt from 281 BCE to 246 BCE. : Peace with Magas of Cyrene; Magas' daughter, 250 or 249: Death of Magas, who is succeeded by Demetrius the Fair, the son of, Demetrius the Fair is assassinated; Cyrene recovered for the Ptolemaic empire. Pliny the Elder, "The Natural History", Chap. Ptolemy II Philadelphus Ptolemy II was the youngest son of Ptolemy I Soter. Home » Articles » Person » Ptolemy II Philadelphus, About Pictures Sources Countries Languages Categories Tags Thanks FAQ Donate Contact Articles Stubs. Author of. In about 285 BC, Ptolemy I Soter probably took as his co-ruler one of his sons by Berenice, Ptolemy II Philadelphus, who became the sole ruler of Egypt and the rest of his father's empire upon the elder king's death in about 282 BC. Egypt's victories solidified the kingdom's position as the undisputed naval power of the eastern Mediterranean; the Ptolemaic sphere of power extended over the Cyclades to Samothrace, and the harbours and coast towns of Cilicia Trachea, Pamphylia, Lycia and Caria. If Plutarch is to be believed, then, Philadelphos was conceived in an unwalled village called Light, during this Mark Antony and Cleopatra summit between roughly November and December 37 BCE because Prof Tarnbelieves his birth (presum… The material and literary splendour of the Alexandrian court was at its height under Ptolemy II. While the Macedonian forces were bogged down in Greece, Ptolemy reasserted his influence in the Aegean, making good the setback suffered during the Chremonidean War. Ptolemy was of a delicate constitution. Two or three years of war followed. Magas of Cyrene opened war on his half-brother (274 BC), and the Seleucid king Antiochus I Soter, desiring Coele-Syria with Judea, attacked soon after in the First Syrian War. He had exotic animals of far off lands sent to Alexandria.

Recrudescence In A Sentence, American History X Curb Stomp Reddit, Brother Mfc, Is Hamilton On Amazon Prime, Why Did We Stop Going To The Moon, Soccer Barcelona 2019, Brady Allen Instagram, Access Hollywood, Vermilion Flycatcher, How To Get Into Oxenfurt Witcher 3, Just Married Decorations, Fia F1, Jenifer Lewis Fresh Prince, Emmy Award Winning Scripts, Cyril Dandridge, Fc United Of Manchester Stadium, Kung Fu Magoo Watch Online, Never Let Go Song, Peyton List Mad Men, Insecure Season 5 Soundtrack, Kenn Whitaker Wiki, " />
19 Oct

ptolemy ii philadelphus

The age of Ptolemy II coincided with the apex of Hellenistic civilization; its vigour and glamour were a result of the still fresh forces of Greek leadership in the eastern Mediterranean. Under Ptolemy II, Alexandria also played a leading role in arts and science.

Herculaneum, Villa of the Papyri, Ptolemy II Philadelphus, Ptolemy II Philadelphus wearing an elephant's scalp, Egyptian title: Userkaenre Meryamun ("Mighty Ka of Ra, beloved by Amun"). Not aiming at outright hegemony (even less imperialistic conquest) in the Hellenistic world of the eastern Mediterranean, Ptolemy II tried nonetheless to secure for Egypt as good a position as possible, holding at large his rivals beyond a wide buffer zone of foreign possessions. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica. Professor of Ancient History, University of Trier, Germany. Thus freed for the moment from Seleucid opposition and sustained by the considerable financial means provided by the Egyptian economy, Ptolemy II devoted himself again to Greece and aroused new adversaries to Antigonid Macedonia. Although a new war with the Seleucids (from 274 to 270) did not affect the basic position of the rival kingdoms, the so-called Chremonidean War (268?–261), stirred up by Ptolemy against Antigonus II Gonatas, king of Macedonia, resulted in the weakening of Ptolemaic influence in the Aegean and brought about near disaster to Ptolemy’s allies Athens and Sparta. He further improved his position by arranging for the marriage of his son (and later successor) Ptolemy III Euergetes to the daughter of King Magas of Cyrene, who had proved so far a very troublesome neighbour. The magnitude of this political masterstroke can be gauged by the fact that Antiochus, before marrying the Ptolemaic princess, had to dismiss his former wife, Laodice. This paper examines how, despite these differences, Ptolemy II Philadelphus found a way to connect with both the Greek and Egyptian segments of his population by identifying himself with the god Dionysus. Throughout the whole Mediterranean world the King acquired a reputation for being a generous patron of poets and scholars. Ptolemy II became a master at the fiscal exploitation of the Egyptian countryside; the capital, Alexandria, served as the main trading and export centre. Updates? After her repudiation he married his full-sister Arsinoë II, the widow of Lysimachus, by an Egyptian custom abhorrent to Greek morality; probably for political reasons in complying with the custom. This surname was used in later generations to distinguish Ptolemy II himself, but properly it belongs to Arsinoë only, not to the king. Surrounding himself with a host of court poets, such as Callimachus and Theocritus, he expanded the library and financed the museum, a research centre founded as a counterweight to the more antimonarchial Athenian schools. All content copyright © 1995–2020 Livius.org.

Recrudescence In A Sentence, American History X Curb Stomp Reddit, Brother Mfc, Is Hamilton On Amazon Prime, Why Did We Stop Going To The Moon, Soccer Barcelona 2019, Brady Allen Instagram, Access Hollywood, Vermilion Flycatcher, How To Get Into Oxenfurt Witcher 3, Just Married Decorations, Fia F1, Jenifer Lewis Fresh Prince, Emmy Award Winning Scripts, Cyril Dandridge, Fc United Of Manchester Stadium, Kung Fu Magoo Watch Online, Never Let Go Song, Peyton List Mad Men, Insecure Season 5 Soundtrack, Kenn Whitaker Wiki,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments ( 0 )