Indirect Characterization Examples, Pitt Women's Basketball Schedule, Berserk 2017, Manny Diaz Temple, Tv Series Filmed In Cornwall, Rooster Fighting Mexico, Zoolander Full Movie Gomovies, " /> Indirect Characterization Examples, Pitt Women's Basketball Schedule, Berserk 2017, Manny Diaz Temple, Tv Series Filmed In Cornwall, Rooster Fighting Mexico, Zoolander Full Movie Gomovies, " />
19 Oct

the years of rice and salt audiobook

From the steppes of Asia to the shoresof the Western Hemisphere, from the age of Akbar to the present and beyond,here is the stunning story of the creation of a new world. He also spends a lot of time describing the 'rediscovery' of scientific principles and inventions that were of course discovered in the same way they were in 'our' Euro-centric world, so what is the point of that exactly? This is the first book I’ve tried from Audible. So how does he do? Narrated by Bronson Pinchot. After all, this Earth is our primary and original Generation Ship- and we are already flying through space. Might Native Americans have united into a proto-democracy, with a little help from refugees from other places? This is a universe where Buddhism and Islam are the most influential and practiced religions, and Christianity is merely a historical footnote. Especially thrilling is that his narration brought out plot development I missed in the first reading. the years of rice and salt co uk robinson kim. And that is partly why I enjoy this story so much. This is a universe where the first ship to reach the New World travels across the Pacific Ocean from China and colonization spreads from west to east. This title is due for release on May 5, 2015. How would the world havechanged? You will be able to unsubscribe at any time. I chose this book as the premise seemed so attractive, imagine a world where Islam were to replace Christianity as the dominant religion and the East replacing the West as the conquerors of the New World. Have you listened to any of Bronson Pinchot’s other performances before? Not sure I'd recommend this book but I did enjoy it. Sold and delivered by Audible, an Amazon company. This is a universe where the first ship to reach the New World travels across the Pacific Ocean from China and colonization spreads from west to east. Or is history a river that can't quite be tamed? ©2002 Kim Stanley Robinson (P)2015 Blackstone Audio, Inc. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. In Robinson's alternate world the plague rampaged through Europe in the 14th Century and wiped out virtually the entire population. Please type in your email address in order to receive an email with instructions on how to reset your password. The more fantastical elements of the story come into play at such times, with characters "remembering" wrong turns from previous lives. I would recommend this audiobook to friends who love and respect great thinking and fine writing. And it is directly related to that same enormous, humanity-encompassing and delightfully specific mind which created The Golden Age of Kim Stanley Robinson.I mean when he was one of the finest story-tellers of his or any other generation.Back when he wrote science fiction at the level of Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos, or Dan Simmons at his Hyperion best. I figured it was worth a read.The point of divergence from our own timeline takes place in the 1300s, after the Black Plague wipes out virtually all of Europe, except for tiny populations on remote islands. It is exactly the opposite.It is wholly original, soaring, immense, and worthy of the best sustained attention. Definitely recommend, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 21 September 2006. Robinson's speculations on how the world might have developed absent Europeans are well thought out. But this book is not quite that, or anything else either. I was at a low spot in my life and contemplating this book and its central ideas have proved uplifting. But I would also have enjoyed this book just as much if I thought the premise was utter nonsense. This, when the Mongols began exploring from the East, they discovered an empty land. I was quite surprised how well it jumped out of the book and into my ears. More can't be revealed without spoilers, but suffice it to say that despite the timescale, there is a surprising degree of continuity.I read this book when it first appeared in print, and was very pleased to get a chance to revisit it in audio format, especially in the hands of so capable and versatile a reader as Bronson Pinchot. History teaches us that a third of Europe's population was destroyed. The Years of Rice and Salt Audible Audiobook – Unabridged Kim Stanley Robinson (Author), Bronson Pinchot (Narrator), Blackstone Audio, Inc. (Publisher) & 0 More 4.0 out of 5 stars 201 ratings He speaks in a very clear and flowing cadence, subtly blending with the very rhythm of the story itself as it unfolds over many times and places. If so, why? Often, the characters sit around discussing philosophy, religion, science, law, the evolution of culture, etc., caught in the thinking of whatever era they're in, but eager to argue about different paths forward. I shall be avoiding any other books narrated by Mr Pinchot, if I bother trying any other ones at all. It is the 14th century, and one of the most apocalyptic events in human history is set to occur - the coming of the Black Death. With a book as sophisticated, multidimensional, far-flung and intricate as The Years of Rice and Salt, this is a gold standard for great narration.In reviewing books, the first thing most people naturally do is describe the basic outline of the story. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 9 January 2013. It is not in a category. We'll send you an email as soon as it is available! © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, World Literature (Audible Books & Originals). This is a universe where the first ship to reach the New World travels across the Pacific Ocean from China and colonization spreads from west to east. It is far too good for that, and deserves as much savoring as anyone has to offer. Cancel anytime. I bought this as I love alternate histories and the premise seemed really interesting. Pretty well, in the main. Alternate history is a genre I enjoy, and this book often appears on "best of" lists, usually somewhere under classics like The Man in the High Castle or Pavane. This is a universe where the Industrial Revolution is triggered by the world's greatest scientific minds—in India. This audio version was skillfully read. After having read this novel some time ago I was somewhat hesitant to lesson to this audio version. The premise is great, and enjoyed the first third of this book a lot. So I will do my best to convey why I enjoyed this book so thoroughly, and hope it helps you to decide.First things first. I like a bit more story myself. Was there a moment in the book that particularly moved you? How does this one compare? Rewriting history and probing the most profound questions as only he can, Robinson shines his extraordinary light on the place of religion, culture, power, and even love on such an Earth. But the narration was terrible; flat monotone delivery with no life to it at all. This is a universe where the first ship to reach the New World travels across the Pacific Ocean from China and colonization spreads from west to east. has successfully been added to your shopping cart. One chapter expresses it quite literally.I don't think I would put this at the top of my personal list of alternative history novels; it's not quite as literary as Pavane, nor is it as mind-bending as The Man in the High Castle. Listen to The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. The industrial revolution might well have begun in India. Bronson kept me going, Kim made me want to quite, so it’s even. It was disappointing though as the endless philosophical musings stifled the story.

Indirect Characterization Examples, Pitt Women's Basketball Schedule, Berserk 2017, Manny Diaz Temple, Tv Series Filmed In Cornwall, Rooster Fighting Mexico, Zoolander Full Movie Gomovies,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments ( 0 )